Thursday, February 7, 2013

Wait, did I just apply to be a volunteer in Haiti?

Oh. Yes, I did.

I took a step. I don't know yet if it's actually a leap, because they might not even select me as a relief volunteer. I applied to an organization called Sustainable Haiti, telling them that I could start in June. Their website seemed pretty legitimate, so I just decided to go for it. I have no idea how I'm going to afford the plane tickets, or live for a month without technology, but hopefully I'll be fine.

The application asked what cross-cultural experience I had, and I realized the answer was none, and that made me want to apply even more. I need to get out of the burbs, and the perfect little city of college where everything is planned. Sounds like typical teenage rebellion, but it's for a good cause. I really do want to help the relief efforts. I need to do more research on Haiti, but it sounds to me like they need as much help as they can get.

So, if anyone who reads this little slice of my mind has any advice for me, it would be awesome if you'd share it. I really have no idea what I'm doing, and I'll have less of an idea if I actually get into this program. Feel free to tell me how great of a person I am for trying this, or you could try to talk me out of it, I'm interested in both sides of the spectrum.

That's all for now. Here's the website I got the application from: http://www.sustainablehaiti.org/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment